Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mt. Mayon "Sadok of Luzon" - Luzon Leg Part 5

I don't want to confuse my readers. I am back in Manila now. In fact it's been more than a week since I got home. In between though some articles had to be prioritized and my kids recently started their new school year. Though the sequence of my blog has been altered I intend to post the full version of the snippets I have kept throughout my road trip at that time and hopefully get you all back in the time line I originally wanted to set.

Salakot Photo courtesy of Ninh Nguyen's blog
Sadok - is the Sorsogon Province's term for the Filipino word Salacot. Neither “hat” in English nor "sombrero" in Spanish will ever translate to Salacot. Much would be lost in the translation if these two words were used. Salacot is never an English cap or a Spanish gorra. Salacot refers to the peculiar broad-brimmed headgear, mostly conical in shape, worn by Filipinos as they work in the fields and the sea. Lacking words for it, Salacot is already in Spanish and English dictionaries as filipinism, or words they borrowed from us ( Source Elmer I. Nocheseda - avid Salacot collector ); Sadok is also one of the most popular restaurants serving batchoy ( hot noodle soup popular in Ilo-Ilo City ) in my Hometown "Cannery" in South Cotabato, Philippines.

Sadok is what came to my mind the first time I saw Mt. Mayon suddenly bursting into view as we were headed to Legaspi from Naga. Maybe because I was headed home hence the restaurant's logo which is this headgear, popped in my head. I have no idea if the Salacot or Sadok was patterned after this perfectly shaped Volcano because you would see workers by the roadside planting rice wearing Salacot. 
 

Bettina: "Most Unforgettable!"
Ever reliable Roland
The symmetry of Mayon, rather (risking reverberation and cliché here), the perfection will surely take your breath away! The road ahead of me suddenly had numerous vehicles parked on the side of the road with passengers taking countless photos. The smiles were of genuine awe. In my daughter's words even if we weren't even half way of our journey, "Dad, this is the most unforgettable part of this trip!". I have seen this Volcano many times, even at night with flowing lava aglow but every time I can't help but feel so proud that this stands on Philippine soil. The Cagsawa Ruins will be a few kilometers before you reach the city of Legaspi. This is the perfect spot for taking pictures. There's even a river just before you reach the ruins that adds more beauty to the natural setting. The road leading to the ruins is narrow and could easily be missed despite the numerous signs before it. Best to be here early before the souvenir stores open or else you will be pulled in all directions except the view of the ruins itself. Don't bring a drunk friend or a war monger because they sell bolos, balisongs or batangas (butterfly blade popular in the Philippines), and itaks here. These are all variations of knives that are actually sold sharp! A bit of trivia on the etymology of balisong: "While the meaning of the term balisong is not entirely clear, a popular belief is that it is derived from the Tagalog words baling sungay (literally, "broken/folding horn") as they were originally made from carved carabao and stag horn. These knives are also referred to as "fan knives", "click clacks" and "butterfly knives". (Source: Ever reliable Wikipedia - the blogger's best friend).

The Cagsawa ruins is what is left of a Franciscan church destroyed in an 1814 eruption of Mt. Mayon. Yes this beauty is an active volcano and can be very destructive. Contrary to popular belief it did not bury the whole church nor is this a really tall bell tower. See an attached photo again from our reliable source Wikipedia. The facade is clearly shown with the church entrance still both very visible. 

This is a place to visit at least once in your lifetime especially if you are Filipino. Showing this to your kids early on will also instill in them appreciation for our own natural wonders and that God did not only bless the countries that National Geographic, Discovery and History Channel keep on featuring.There is something about natural wonders that stimulates the soul and refreshes the weary. Couple it with viewing the ruins and you will surely get the message that you are not gonna be here for long. So better get started with that bucket list.


Back to Sadok my favorite restaurant growing up, I also remembered my good friend Kimo the eldest son of the owners Nonoy and Lucy Pido, who was one of my childhood best friends. On the road I kept on chuckling with the thought that he would would have enjoyed FaceBook and all new social media the most. He died pre-ipad, pre-iphone and pre-facebook. But he was most active during the VHF radio days. He would drag me late at night to meet new found friends on what used to be called eyeball sessions. I was really easy to convince because his Dad's batchoy was really delicious and getting it for free doubly so! He was deft in coordinating/operating communication traffic on a fairly limiting technology of PTT (Press-To-Talk) and two-way communication. Surely he would have been an early adapter of new social media. 

I then realized that indeed in any trip, it is the journey not the destination. Driving on a long stretch of road with natural wonders around you, you also travel down memory lane further enriching the experience and the pictures can't even tell half of the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment